Python for Data Analysis! But WHY?
Blog | September 13, 2022 | By Sarayu Rakshith B R
What is Data?
Data comes in various forms and shapes. Data is an extraordinarily broad topic. How do we get wisdom from data? By churning it using various methods.
Few of the methods are listed below:
- Data analysis
- Data Visualizations
- Natural Language Processing
- Machine Learning
- Geo spatial mapping
- Searching and Indexing
Why should we choose python language for data tasks?
There are many well-known languages for data tasks like R, Java and MATLAB. However, Python is considered as the perfect language for data tasks due to a variety of reasons.
Firstly, python is easier to learn than most other programming languages. It has a pragmatic syntax, unique style and a whole lot of libraries that can be used for data tasks.
Additionally, python is extremely easy to read, can understand the language like simple English and is very scalable. A problem can be approached in multiple ways rather than being stuck with a single approach.
Below are a few main reasons:
- Variety of Python Libraries – Python has a massive availability of free libraries that can be used. It is also one of the highly supported languages today.
- Python community – There is a huge python community, a library can be developed for any of the complex data tasks that need to be performed. It’s an open-source language which means it has a community-based development. Lots of developers voluntarily contribute for enriching python’s libraries.
- Visualization Packages- Python has some of the best libraries to visualize any data set. These libraries can be used for both large and small datasets.Each library comes with different features and thus hep with variety of graphs.
Python Vs Other Programming Languages/Tools
- A visual analytic tool has limited in-built capabilities. It might not be possible to answer all real time business questions using a pre-built tool set.
- Visual Analytic Tool might be a great alternative to Excel when handling and visualizing large data sets. However, Python offers far more simplicity and elegance.
- Python offers customizable solutions to complex business problems and is also portable.
- Using Python, we can also come up with a variety of test scripts for unit, integration or API tests.
- Python code is very compact to use when compared with other programming languages. You just need to know the usage of the libraries.
Useful Resources to learn Python
If you are inspired by the above reasons to learn basics and more about Python, below is a useful list of the resources available online:
- https://pydata.org/ – PyData – they organize brilliant conferences around the world and fund the continuous development of Python libraries.
- Learn Python with Codecademy Pro | Codecademy – Code academy offers variety of courses to learn python which are beginner specific.
- The Complete Python Course | Learn Python by Doing in 2022 | Udemy – Udemy offers a complete Python course to go from Beginner to Expert level
- The Python Tutorial — Python 3.10.7 documentation – Online Python Documentation
- techTFQ – YouTube – You can find a lot of python content on this largest video platform. It has videos explaining a particular concept or an entire course
- Python Crash Course, 2nd Edition | No Starch Press – this book is very popular among the python community.